Friday 23 February 2018

Intro

I wanted to use this page as a way of exploring my ideas; mostly relating to travel, photography and finding a place to settle in life. I am English, living in Canada, on an IEC traveling work visa.
I have been living in Ottawa for 7 months. I am not sure where I want to go next.
I have limited experience living outside of the UK.
It is February and I have just "survived" my first winter. I was unsure as to whether I would find it an ordeal. I have mostly hidden indoors, where there is heating, food and comfortable furniture.
I have had some experiences of braving the weather, but mostly in the city. I also went to New York City for Christmas, then Quebec City for New Year's Eve, where I was outside a lot of the time.
I like cold weather. The initial onset of winter, fresh snow and frozen rivers, was really exciting. However, now that February is here, it has been replaced by brown slush. I also think I have struggled most with the social changes in winter. Looking back, it felt like nothing happened for over a month. 
The days of a Canadian winter are much brighter and clearer than in England. The season shift could not be more pronounced. In England we have long periods of overcast skies, occasionally punctuated by other mild short lived weather patterns. For me, Ottawa is humid and uncomfortably hot in summer. Fall did have a sudden temperature drop and vivid red, orange, yellow and brown colours appearing everywhere. I also had to get used to the idea that a winter could be a deadly thing. There was even a day with a 30˚C drop in temperature, resulting in a flash freeze. Absolutely amazing.
First of all, I think I could do with some ideas for exploring my area. I cannot drive, which I feel was a big mistake made by my former self. I have to say I find city planning in Ontario, very, very, very bland. It seems like no matter where you walk, it is not your right of way and it takes a long time to cross any roads, even though it is much less busy. The landscape in this province seems very homogeneous. The distance between any points of interest is vast. Also the architecture was all built around the same time, so it is very regular. Even the "historical' or ornate buildings, when you look closer, seem to have the details softened to the point that there really isn't anything there.
What haven't I seen in Ottawa? 
Are there any hidden gems in this city that I don't know about?
Am I having a bad day? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment